Researched and Published by
The Kent Archaeological Field School
Director; Paul Wilkinson, PhD, MIfA, FRSA.
The Office, School Farm Oast, Graveney Road Faversham, Kent. ME13 8UP
Tel: 01795 532548 or 07885 700 112. e-mail: email@example.com http://www.kafs.co.uk
“Faversham;; a fair and flourishing sea-port town, giving title to an extensive hundred in the Lathe of Scray, in the county of Kent, is situated on a navigable arm of the Swale, in a fruitfull part of the county, nine miles from Canterbury, and forty-seven from London” (Edward Jacob, 1774, A History of Faversham).
Faversham, whose maritime development is the subject of this study, was extremely fortunate in having an 18th-cen- tury historian of Jacob’s stature to write comprehensively on the town.
One theme which emerges from his work is the economic prosperity to which Faversham had long been accustomed. This prosperity had developed before the building of the Abbey in 1174, and it only remained for the commercial stimulus of the London agricultural food market, the mak- ing of gunpowder, the development of brewing, and the oyster fishery to enable Faversham to expand even further in importance from the 16th to the 18th centuries.
To read the full History click on this link to download port